Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Things I've Learned from Mom

Day 16's prompt asks me to tell you what I've learned from my parents about being a parent.

Although I'm not a parent yet, I have learned loads of things (mostly from my mom) that I plan on using with my future children.  I think we've all turned out really well rounded, although my brother's outcome is TBD, haha, and I know I will be bombarding my  mom with questions when the time comes. 

As it stands, there are actually some things that I have been able to use in my classroom, namely, routine, routine, routine.  My mom was a stickler for routine growing up, and my babies definitely need their daily structure.  We do exercise a lot of flexibility, they are one, after-all, but if we stray too far from the norm, helllllooo, meltdown city! 

Secondly, I have learned how important reading is.  If the little ones want to sit and look at books all morning, that is fine by me.  My mom has always reiterated how crucial early exposure to books is to future language skills.  I have always loved reading, and I know my mom read stacks and stacks of books to me over and over.  Thank you so much, Mom!

The third most important thing I've learned is that children need independence!  My mom was not always looking over my shoulder, and I had the chance to choose my own activities much of the time.  I also try to exercise this in my classroom, because I do feel like children of today need space to learn and breathe on their own.  I'm obviously right there if they need me, but sometimes, I butt out so they can do their own thing. :)

In the future, I'd like to spend time nurturing my relationship with Adam first and foremost.  My parents weren't afraid to hire a sitter or tell us that we needed to play outside for an hour or two without interrupting them.  I think the transition into family life for us may be difficult, as we have been enjoying our childless life so far.  In fact, I'm off to a dinner date right now!  Happy reading. :)

Linked up with A Fresh Start on a Budget for Day 16 of the April Blogging Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment