Sunday, April 6, 2014

Easy Peasy

Day 5's writing prompt of the April Blog Challenge asks, what are your quick and easy meal ideas?

Let me start off by saying I love to cook....when I have the time to slow down.  Quick and easy meals are just not my thing, which is why more often than not we eat dinner later than either of us would like to. 

I don't really have any big "secrets," when it comes to cooking, as I think that much of it is knowing basic cooking skills and how to read and follow directions.  Every recipe can be adapted with your own twists to suit your particular family's tastes.  For example, my husband doesn't like cheese, so instead of combining it with the other ingredients, I usually just top off my portion with a little before serving. 

We try to eat clean, local, and organic, so I just replace things as I see fit, like using whole organic milk in place of skim or local pasture-raised ground pork, seasoned with my own blend of spices rather than frozen pork sausage. 

My biggest time saver is meal planning.  When I actually sit down and figure out what I'm going to make for dinner and then go through the ads to make my shopping list, then I know I have everything on hand, and I don't have to sit around for 30+ minutes trying to decide what to make every night. 

If I'm really in a pinch, I try to have freezer meals on hand that I can warm up on the stovetop, but I really do feel like it's much quicker to prepare an actual meal with ingredients I have prepped or defrosted the night before. 

For recipes, check out my Muy Delicioso board on Pinterest. Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment