Sunday, April 6, 2014

Life

I'm still taking part in the April Blogging Challenge by Karissa from A Fresh Start on a Budget.  It is definitely a challenge to write every day!

Day 6: What is the biggest event that has ever happened in your life, something that changed your life dramatically?

For me, moving to Lincoln for college sparked a huge change in my life!  Growing up, I didn't have the typical high school experience of parties, boyfriends, homework, and curfews.  I participated in a number of different activities ranging from band to FBLA to cross country (my senior year).  I was at the top of my class and almost never had any homework to do.  My parents never gave me a curfew, because I honestly never went out unless I was going over to my best friend, Val's house.

When I moved to Lincoln, I had so much freedom!  I could go to class, or I could go to the movies instead.  I could stay up as late as I wanted and do whatever I wanted.  I didn't know what to do with myself, and ultimately, I ended up watching far too much MTV and skipping the majority of my classes.  I was exposed to all sorts of different lifestyles and my preconceived notions about the world fell away. 

If I could go back, of course I would do some things over, but I came away with many blessings: my husband, a mind open to accepting others' differences, and the ability to think for myself.  I also was able to hold onto the morals that my parents instilled in me before leaving home.  I have always felt safe in Lincoln, and I'm grateful for the 10+ years I have spent in this great city.


No comments:

Post a Comment