Thursday, March 27, 2014

Daycare Fashion

Working in the childcare industry is not a glamorous occupation by any means.  In my opinion, it is one of the hardest jobs to dress for!  Ideally, I want to come across as professional and put together.  Realistically, 99% of my work day is spent down on floor level with older infants, so my outfits need to be comfortable, appropriate, and durable.

To be honest, this past winter was rough.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I find it hard to go shopping when it's cold out.  Peeling off all my layers and seeing my pasty skin in the dressing room mirrors isn't exactly appealing to me.  My lack of desire for shopping in the winter, usually means I have to rely on whatever I already have in my closet.  The frigid temperatures left me longing for comfort, so yoga pants or leggings and soft tees became my outfit of choice...so simple, comfortable, cheap, and easy to layer.  Thank goodness for a flexible dress code!  I really do love that about my job!

As springtime weather has slowly started to emerge, I am feeling more enthusiastic about outfit planning.  Here is what I wore today.  I had my eye on mustard yellow tights for a while and finally picked up a pair at Target a couple weeks ago on clearance for less than $4.  Score!  The kids definitely didn't know what to think about my legs, and I just have to share this story.  A 3 year old little boy followed me around this morning saying, "Liz, what's wrong?  Liz, what's wrong?"  When I asked what he meant, he said, "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR LEGS?!"  I explained that I was wearing tights, and he responded with, "But they're yellow!" with an incredulous look on his face, "the color of THE SUN!"  According to his teacher he was concerned about my sunny legs for the rest of the morning.  So sweet!
                                               
                   
I was comfortable and able to move around in this outfit quite easily, as the skirt has just the right amount of length.  Are you as excited for spring and summer weather as I am?  I can't wait to break out more skirts and dresses (pro tip: when you spend a lot of time crawling around on the floor with babies, it's ALWAYS a good idea to wear shorts underneath!), as I find them so easy to wear and fun to style.  What is your favorite season to dress for?


Top: Banana Republic: (last Sept. $17.22 on clearance) seen here
Cardi: Target (old) similar
Skirt:  Banana Republic (Jan. 2014 $14.98 on clearance) available online
Tights: Target ($3.60 on clearance) similar, similar

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! I love the lace/stripe top! Spring/Summer is my favorite season for outfits. I get excited in the fall for boots/layers, but then I'm tired of it after about a month. Summer is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Andi! I need to figure out how to use my actual camera and not just my iPhone if I'm going to stick with this whole blogging thing. :)

      Delete